Euro Connection 2021 – Call for Entries
Euro Connection is the main platform for the co-production of short films. This pitching and networking event aims at fostering partnerships between production companies within Europe around short film projects.
The 13th edition of Euro Connection will take place on Tuesday 2 and Wednesday 3 February 2021 during the Short Film Market in Clermont-Ferrand, with support from the Creative Europe MEDIA sub-programme and the PROCIREP.
The final program of the event and the form of its organisation will inevitably depend on the development of the global and local sanitary situation in coming months to ensure safety for all participants.
CALL FOR PROJECTS 2021
Deadline for sending European projects : 20 October 2020
Co-production and reciprocity
Co-production requires time, reciprocity and the sharing of artistic and financial responsibilities. Any producer applying with a project and wishing to develop a successful coproduction will need to:
- Maintain a good relationship with the author/director in order to jointly welcome and fully trust a foreign artistic and financial partner on board the project.
- Allow sufficient time for a co-producer to apply for funds in his/her country, before going into production.
- Be ready to take up the role of potential co-producer himself or herself.
What is Euro Connection ?
Euro Connection is a co-production forum designed for European producers, broadcasters, distributors and financial backers looking for international co-production partners or projects.
Euro Connection brings together:
- 14 European projects that are selected for pitching
- A dozen producers invited as part of the Producers Focus
- An overall industry audience of 150 producers and production partners from Europe
Our annual call for projects is launched across Europe and results in the selection of 14 projects whose producers are invited to pitch at Euro Connection and network with the participating industry audience of potential co-producers.
The event revolves around:
- Pitch training (Monday 1 February 2021).
- Pitching sessions (Tuesday 2 February).
- Facilitated networking for producers and participants.
- One-on-one business meetings (Wednesday 3 February).
Some 150 industry delegates take part in Euro Connection each year. 100 films were completed, including 51 international co-productions, as a result from past editions. T
I – Pitching a European project
Producers willing to pitch a short film project at Euro Connection and whose company is based in a European country associated to the event must send their application by email no later than October 20, 2020 to the national correspondent in their country. Serbian participants should contact MEDIA Desk – Una Domazetoski or Nevena Negojević.
All projects must match the following criteria:
- The project is a short film (animation, fiction, creative documentary).
- The duration does not exceed 30 minutes.
- The project must have partial funding* in place granted from an external source (third party organisation).
- The producer intends to develop the film as an international coproduction
- Shooting or production shall start no earlier than June 2020.
* Partial funding here means financial support secured towards the development or production of the project. It must have been granted by a third-party organisation (i.e: script development grant, production fund, state or local government support, co-financing from a broadcaster, prize money from a foundation or contest, etc.). In-kind contributions, services, valorisation or investment share from the original production company or affiliated partners are not considered valid as acquired partial funding in the respect of this selection process. No minimum amount or percentage is required. Projects can indifferently be in an early or advanced stage of funding.
Any producer applying with a project formally commits to attend Euro Connection in person in Clermont-Ferrand in case of selection.
Please send your application by email to the national correspondent in your country no later than October 20, 2020. Applications shall be sent as 1 single pdf file containing the entry form below carefully filled out, with all additional documents required. Incomplete applications or ineligible projects will not be considered.The correspondents are at the disposal of applicants for any query regarding application.
Selection of projects
In each country the national correspondent collects applications, checks eligibility, and sets up an expert committee to nominate 1 finalist project.
Correspondents who’ll receive 10 applications or more in their country can nominate up to 2 finalist projects. Expert committees will especially pay attention to the artistic value of the projects. Each national correspondent will inform the applicants of the results of the nomination of the finalist project. The producers of the finalist projects will then be required to send an English version of their application (including script) within 7 days (for producers who apply to their correspondents with an application in another language than English).
A European jury will then select up to 13 projects from all the finalist projects. The jury will include 3 industry professionals from different nationalities. All finalist participants will be informed of the list of selected projects for Euro Connection by the end of November 2020.
For Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania), the winning project of the Baltic Pitching Forum (Vilnius, October 9-11, 2020) will be selected for Euro Connection, as a result from the partnership between these two events. For Denmark, the Danish finalist project will be nominated with the results of Pitch Me baby! on August 27, 2020, in partnership with the Odense Film Festival and the Creative Europe desk in Denmark.
Invitation for selected European projects
The producers of each selected project will be invited to Euro Connection to pitch their project. Invitation is limited to one person per production company, and covers:
- A 160 € travel grant;
- 4 hotel nights and meals (arrival Sunday 31 January – departure Thursday 4 Feb. 2021)
- Full accreditation to the International Short Film Market in Clermont-Ferrand.
The authors/directors of the projects are very welcome and their presence is strongly advised. Authors/directors are invited in shared hotel room with their producer and will also be granted a free Market accreditation and access to all networking facilities.
II – Being part of the Producers Focus
A dozen producers are invited to be in the Producers Focus. Each is given a two-minute window during Euro Connection to present their background, their company, and their approach to short films and to co-production. This is not a pitch for a project, but rather a short pitch of their company profile. The profile of producers invited to the Producers Focus is included in the Euro Connection booklet. The Producers Focus gives invited producers a chance to be actively identified by the industry audience, to develop their network, or to get on board pitched projects.
The producers of the remaining finalist projects, outside the final selection, will be given priority invitations to be part of the Producers Focus. If no answer is received in due course, organizers reserve the right to transfer invitations to other producers.
Invitation to the Producers Focus includes:
- 3 hotel nights (arrival Monday 1 – departure Thursday 4 February 2021);
- meal vouchers for the duration of their stay;
- Full accreditation to the International Short Film Market in Clermont-Ferrand;
- Invitation to the Euro Connection lunch and Euro Connection / CNC networking cocktail.
III – registering to attend pitching sessions and request business meetings
Producers, fund representatives, distributors and broadcasters accredited to the Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Market are invited to register to attend pitching sessions on Tuesday. Access is free upon prior registration. Online registration will open mid-January. The Euro Connection Booklet will also be available online, with details of selected projects and profiles of producers featured in the Producers Focus. Registered participants can then also contact the Euro Connection team to secure meetings with the teams of the selected projects of their choice.
Early registration is advised as Tuesday’s pitching sessions are often fully booked and the schedule for Wednesday’s one-to-one meetings fills up quickly.